We are always looking for talented people who are passionate and committed to reproductive health, rights and justice. If this sounds like you, we would love to have you join our team.
Job Type: Full-time
Reports to: Front Office Supervisor
Languages: Spanisn/English Bilingual
Overview: Health Educator position provides health education and options counseling to a diverse population of women, trans, and gender non-conforming folks at Feminist Women’s Health Center, in support of our full range of reproductive health services; Experience in counseling or in social work is preferred. Listening skills, people skills, and a desire to learn are needed. Availability on Tuesday’s, Friday’s, and Saturday’s are also required.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist and educate patients on all information necessary to understand their abortion procedure.
- Educates clients on all information necessary for understanding pregnancy options, birth control, and STI testing and prevention that considers the patient’s lived experience.
- Provides non-coercive reproductive health information with an emphasis on the self-determination of the patient, consistent with when, if ever, the client wishes to be pregnant again.
- Educates clients on all information necessary for understanding wellness appointments.
- Understands and is able to explain the information contained in the authorization and consent forms required by all clients receiving services.
- Is willing to cross-train to provide patient education/phone counseling.
- Complete all required patient paperwork and ensure that patient charts are prepared for clinical staff.
- Obtain important Medical History on all patients.
- Fully explain all forms, including the authorization and consent forms required by all clients receiving services.
- Discuss and provide information to clients as designated by the provider in a supportive and non-judgmental manner while also being HIPAA compliant.
- Accurately input patient information into the system in a timely manner.
- Discusses and provides information to clients in a supportive and non-judgmental manner.
- Understands and is able to articulate the mission of the FWHC to potential clients.
- Serves as an advocate for the client and her family during the health education session.
- Other duties assigned by the Clinic Administrator or other Supervisor.
Education, Experience, and Licensure Desired:
- High school diploma or GED
- CPR Certified
- Gynecology and Obstetrics experience
- Committed to Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice
- LPN and or CMA
- Social work experience
- Active listening
- Collecting Health History
- Understanding of Contraceptives
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to develop and maintain effective relationships with medical and administrative staff, patients and the public.
- Demonstrates tact, versatility, and adaptability.
- Skill in gathering, analyzing and interpreting information.
- Knowledge of electronic medical records a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint a plus.
- Ability to apply policies and principles to solve everyday problems
- Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
- Ability to learn and adheres to clinical protocols and procedures.
- Ability to exercise initiative, sound problem solving, and decision-making.